Chapter 4 key points
CS Lewis says that there are two views to how the world came about.
1. Science view where things just came together perfectly and their was a big Bang.
a. By a fluke the we and the universe came to be
2. Religious view - That there is a controlling power (creator)who created the world and universe.
3. You can't find out which view by using science because science uses experiments. Is there something behind the scenes you can't figure that out with science
4. The one thing we can observe is Man. And man has the natural God given Moral Law which they didn't make. The only way that their is a controlling power is shown is inside ourselves as an influence to behave a certain way. The only packet we are allowed to open is man. Something is directing the universe and it appears in me as a law urging me to do right.
My thoughts and feelings on this chapter
I agree with C.S Lewis conclusions that there controlling Power that created us and this universe. Just as we can take apart a flashlight with batteries and put them in a bag and shake them and hope that they will come together. Man is much more complicated than a flashlight. Man does have a innate sense in him to do the right thing. I completely agree that this comes from God. I believe that each of us are given inclinations and aspirations towards heaven. To become better. Those feelings and impressions come from the controlling power(God). I felt those impressions today at church as the Children's Primary program where they sang Come follow me song sharing about following Jesus's example of love and kindness.
I would go further than CS lewis did in this chapter and say the World the planets and the Universe didn't just happen by chance any more than a new home comes together by chance. There has to be a creator behind the world. What are the chances that the Sun is just the right distance to sustain life on earth? What are the chances that the human body could be formed by an accident? I say close to zero. Common sense dictates that something as complicated as the man and his feelings/impressions had to created. The sun, moon and stars are amazing wonderful testament to a loving Creator.
CS Lewis says that there are two views to how the world came about.
1. Science view where things just came together perfectly and their was a big Bang.
a. By a fluke the we and the universe came to be
2. Religious view - That there is a controlling power (creator)who created the world and universe.
3. You can't find out which view by using science because science uses experiments. Is there something behind the scenes you can't figure that out with science
4. The one thing we can observe is Man. And man has the natural God given Moral Law which they didn't make. The only way that their is a controlling power is shown is inside ourselves as an influence to behave a certain way. The only packet we are allowed to open is man. Something is directing the universe and it appears in me as a law urging me to do right.
My thoughts and feelings on this chapter
I agree with C.S Lewis conclusions that there controlling Power that created us and this universe. Just as we can take apart a flashlight with batteries and put them in a bag and shake them and hope that they will come together. Man is much more complicated than a flashlight. Man does have a innate sense in him to do the right thing. I completely agree that this comes from God. I believe that each of us are given inclinations and aspirations towards heaven. To become better. Those feelings and impressions come from the controlling power(God). I felt those impressions today at church as the Children's Primary program where they sang Come follow me song sharing about following Jesus's example of love and kindness.
I would go further than CS lewis did in this chapter and say the World the planets and the Universe didn't just happen by chance any more than a new home comes together by chance. There has to be a creator behind the world. What are the chances that the Sun is just the right distance to sustain life on earth? What are the chances that the human body could be formed by an accident? I say close to zero. Common sense dictates that something as complicated as the man and his feelings/impressions had to created. The sun, moon and stars are amazing wonderful testament to a loving Creator.
I think this chapter brings up really interesting problems. Lewis is trying to come up with reasons that everyone can accept for why Christianity is true. His starting point is moral law. He thinks that a moral law exists, and that we all intuitively know this law. This fact is best explained, says Lewis, by the existence of a God.
ReplyDeleteHe thinks that because the law exists, it must come from something different from matter - matter, Lewis says, doesn't make me feel like I ought to do something. Since it must come from something different from matter, it must be something like a super Mind (i.e. God). This is how he choses between the two views. Supernatural v. Physicalism.
Your post agrees with Lewis about the moral law, and you add an argument: the argument from design. Essentially, that the earth, universe, people etc. are designed so well, that they must have been designed. Lewis isnt making this argument here, but it is a popular argument people use as proof God must exist.
The Argument from Design could have it's own blog, so I won't talk too much about it here. But one basic question it raises is the following: how can you know if something is probable or not? How can you tell if something is unlikely? We would have to know our standard of probability before we can decide if something is so improbable the only way it could exist is if someone designed it.
I liked this article regarding whether it is probable that the Universe came together by chance.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.icr.org/article/probability-order-versus-evolution/
The law of Entropy I studied in College says the Universe is going to continue to get more and more disorder. Everything goes to disorder. Just like the elements. Without creation you don't houses buildings and structure. It doesn't just happen. I agree this wasn't CS Lewis point but I couldn't leave this one alone.