Monday, October 26, 2015

Steve - Preface

Summary:
Lewis explains what his motives were in writing the book—“to explain and defend the belief that has been common to nearly all Christians at all times.” He informs the reader that he will avoid disputed doctrine. He discusses the meaning and use of the word Christian, so that the readers know he is speaking about “those who accepted the teaching of the apostles.” He ends by saying this book, his beliefs, are not put forth as another denomination that can be adopted. Instead the book is meant to draw an unbeliever to Christianity into “the hall” and thereafter into a room or particular denomination of Christianity.

Spoke to me:
Lewis said “I am not writing to expound something I could call ‘my religion’, but to expound ‘mere’ Christianity, which is what it is and what it was long before I was born and whether I like it or not.” Very powerful. Christianity is beyond man and not of man, despite how we try to make it what we want it to be.

Questions or problems:
I didn’t really like his hall and rooms analogy, because it makes it seem like everyone has their own “version” of Christianity. I believe he was referring to Christian denominations, but it may not be that clear to the casual reader. Even though he says he will avoid disputed topics, I believe that what he will eventually espouse as mere Christianity will still have those who argue. Just look at Roman Catholics and Protestants as one example.

3 comments:

  1. I also liked Lewis's point that Christianity should be what it is, and not what we want to make it. How that is done is much harder - I dont think we can live a religion without changing it. Not sure how to overcome this problem. Thoughts?

    As for the metaphor of the hall and the rooms, I like and dislike it. My biggest question is how you explain the existence of so many rooms. If the hall is basic Christianity, why do you need the rooms? Shouldn't basic, simple, "mere" Christianity be enough to get you to God? If the rooms aren't part of the basic Christianity, where do they come from? Are they all human made additions? Can more than one room get you to salvation? Their existence raises more questions than it answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the hall and the rooms because I believe that Christains(Baptists, Catholics, Evangilical, LDS etc. ) have more in common that they have different. The basic teachings of the Bible we have in common. As I sat down with my Presbyterian friend Alan. There is very few basic beliefs we share.

    Love God and Neighbor
    Be Honest, True and Chaste
    Don't lie, steal or commit adultery. Obey the 10 commandments.
    Love your enemies. Do good to them that hate you. Don't do your alms before men. Forgive each other. Serve each other. Live as Jesus taught all are shared by Christian faiths. I believe the idea of being in the building.

    I also like the idea that CS Lewis states that you are striving to understand which room is correct one. But I like the concept of not spending our time on why we are the correct one. I believe looking where we have common beliefs is of way more value than arguing over who is correct or right.

    ReplyDelete